Subject: Report after installing 1.0-i386.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jesus M. Gonzalez <jgb@ordago.uc3m.es>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1994 13:26:03
	Hi!

	I've *succesfully* installed binaries for i386, obtained via ftp
from iastate on 27th october. I just followed the messages from the
console, with some help from the INSTALL file. So, congratulations
to the NetBSD team!!!

	The machine is a 486 with Award BIOS, ~200 MB hard disk, 8 MB
RAM, 3c503 (Etherlink II) Ethernet card, 1'44 floppy driver. I've
set up the full hard disk for NetBSD.

	I've also made a secr.tar.gz
distribution, compiled with UFC-crypt, packaged for NetBSD (0.8, I
think) by David Burren (davidb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au). As long
as I think there are no export restrictions for DES code from Spain,
I could make the secr distribution available for anonymous ftp. If you
are interested, please let me know. By the way, if there are newer
versions of UFC-crypt (mine is June 1993) please drop me a line.
NOTE: ed, thougth is in secr distribution, is not supported by the
UFC-crypt distribution I have, so it is still compiled with
crypt_dummy... (since I don't use to type ed, that's fine for me).

	About the installed system, everithing seems fine
except for:

	. When booting, NetBSD says "i486DX (Genuine Intel-class
CPU)", but later it says "npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff using emulator".
I thougth 486DX had in-chip coprocessor... Anyway, the BIOS (Award)
says "80486SX-S"...

	. I've done a partition for /tmp. After standard installation,
its permissions are:
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Nov  1 05:30 /tmp
	If I umount it, the directory "below" seems to have same
permissions... Shouldn't that be "drwxrwxrwt"?

	. After installing binaries from the dist files (I did it via
NFS), you have to reboot from floppy and get a kernel for root
partition on hard disk. Couldn't that be done from a distribution set?
If I don't forgive, that was how it was done in 0.8 and 0.9

	. I'm not sure about this been a mistake in my part, but after
installation I had no /etc/mygate file...

	. I can see the audio and sound devices, and I can found
options for them in the ALL kernel. But I find no man page...

	. I also got the source tar_files. When installed, I find
no /usr/src/Makefile... ?Did I miss something?

	. What about distribution sets for src? I also found none of
them... Are they going to be released?

	. Just a minor comment: The names for variables in script
/usr/src/distrib/sets/maketars are a bit confusing. Shouldn't it be
better using $DESTDIR for the `destination place' (where sets are
to be made) and $RELEASEDIR for the `relase place' (where release
to be distributed is stored)?

	. When building a kernel (GENERICAHA), I saw some warnings.
Here are some of them:
../../../../arch/i386/isa/aic6360.c:657: warning: initialization of
`aiccd.cd_match' from incompatible pointer type
../../../../arch/i386/isa/if_ed.c: In function `ed_start':
../../../../arch/i386/isa/if_ed.c:1463: warning: cast from pointer to
integer of different size
../../../../arch/i386/isa/isa.c: In function `config_search':
../../../../arch/i386/isa/isa.c:146: warning: passing arg 2 from
incompatible pointer type
../../../../arch/i386/pci/ncr.c:1370: warning: initialization of
`ncrcd.cd_match' from incompatible pointer type
	Anyway, the new kernel seems to be running pretty well...

	. I also tried to build another GENERICAHA plus pseudo-device
audio. When linking the kernel, I got:
bsd_audio.o: Undefined symbol `_sbopen' referenced from text segment
bsd_audio.o: Undefined symbol `_sbclose' referenced from text segment
bsd_audio.o: Undefined symbol `_sb_set_sr' referenced from text
segment
bsd_audio.o: Undefined symbol `_sb_spkroff' referenced from text
segment
bsd_audio.o: Undefined symbol `_sb_set_sr' referenced from text
segment
bsd_audio.o: Undefined symbol `_sb_spkron' referenced from text
segment
	Does that means `audio' still does not exist? (by the way,
I used config... Should I have used config.new???)

	. Installation notes say that you cannot install on a system
with only one floppy driver, if you has NetBSD only on floppies.
Does it mean you cannot install it `a la 0.9'? Could someone explain
why?

	Well that's all for now. Thanks again to all of you making
NetBSD possible,

		Jesus.

--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona    | Universidad Carlos III (Madrid, Spain)
tel: +34 1 624 94 58          | e-mail: jgb@inf.uc3m.es