Subject: Paralell IP Protocol (via par. LapLink cable)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@euterpe.owl.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/1994 23:42:01
We had a discussion about plip (IP via a LapLink cable, sort of null-modem
cable for centronics, transmitting 4 bit at each step) a long time ago
(before the archives started), but I can't remember we came to a conclusion
that time. And I think noone realy did a driver for this yet.

Now I'm on this notebook and we don't have any drivers for any parallel
ethernet adapter as far as I know. So I started experimenting with a
driver.

BUT: there seems to be no real standard protocol. The Crynwr packet driver
for DOS seems to be the original implementation, the Linux driver is not
compatible with it. I've heard rumours about a Mach driver, but haven't
looked at that.

Since I'm going to connect my NetBSD notebook to my NetBSD router it doesn't
realy matter which protocol to implement. Having a compatible DOS packet
driver would be nice just in case we might get IPX networking support
(I could connect the [other] Windows notebook via plip to the NetBSD router
which talks to our NetWare server and lets me mount the NetWare drives.)

Any comments?

Martin

--
'Why, you could subvert that with trained flocks of eagles carrying CDs!'
		-- Andrew Molitor about a new firewall-product