Subject: Re: rm
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1994 18:46:12
On Oct 30, 11:50am, J.T. Conklin wrote:
} Subject: rm
} There has been quite a bit of speculation about how the rm(1) command
} should work wrt. trailing slashes.
}
} The proper[1] behavior is spelled out in POSIX.2 --- trailing slashes
}
} 1. If proper is defined as being standards compliant.

     'proper' in my book does not include blindly following every
standard that is plunked in front of you, just so that you can be
'correct'.  BSD has been around long enough and is in wide enough use
that it is a standard unto itself.  If ANSI, POSIX, XPG3, SVID2(3?),
SPEC1170, or whatever conflicts with traditional BSD behaviour, then
serious consideration should be given to ignoring the 'standard' and
using the BSD method.  Not to mention, that there are so many
'official standards' to which a UNIX-like system is expected to
adhere, that there are bound to be conflicts between the standards
themselves.  When I program on a BSD system, I expect it to behave in
a certain way, this includes haveing things like setre[ug]id doing
something useful.  I know this isn't an overly popular opinion, but
every time I make a post like this, I do get mail from people agreeing
with me, so I can't be totally out to lunch.

}-- End of excerpt from J.T. Conklin