Subject: Tuning problems?
To: None <,>
From: Greg Spiegelberg <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1994 17:13:32
I just recently installed with the 10/25 stuff from
Have a few questions.

1) I'm losing inodes & files with every bootup/shutdown.  Is there a
problem with the dir structs or fsck?

2) Possibily my problem with 1) is related to this.
When installing and I'm asked for the disk geometry should I give it
what it thinks it is or what the manual thinks it is?
I have a 1.02GB Micropolis SCSI (the 4110) and I thought the dim's
were 1002cyl, 64 heads, 32 sec/track.  The kernel states otherwise.

3) XFree 3.1 isn't quite cooperating either.  Possibly an oversight
on my part, but xdm can't start in the rc.local because I'm missing
a lib file.  Should it be started after ldconfig and should I have
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set somewhere in rc?  The file is there.

Out of curiousity...
4) What is the ie0 device?  I assume it's some flavor of network
card, but why does the boot floppy (kcaha) see it on my machine?
I don't see a network card.  Maybe it's a VR card.  :)

That's all for now.  Much appreciate any help offerred.

Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg		      SAIC UNIX Systems Admin Dude
RidgeNet, Ridgecrest, Ca.
	 My views are hardly reasonable or credible thus are
		contrary to others including SAICs.