Subject: Re: gcc-ansi -pedantic and long long on NetBSD
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: James W. Williams <williams@nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1994 15:44:23
    From: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
    Date:  Sun, 30 Oct 1994 13:41:28 -0500

    > 1. Fix gcc so the -pedantic doesn't choke on long long anymore (I
    >    suppose that some ANSI version of C will support 64bit ints)

    This is probably the solution.  it's unclear that ANSI will support
    64bit ints in any reasonable fashion, though.

The gcc-based ANSI C compiler on my DEC alpha uses

long	64 bit
int	32 bit
short	16 bit
char	 8 bit

Seems like a "reasonable" way to support 64 bit ints!  DEC had the
great advantage, however, of not having to support old, 32bit alpha
code, for the simple reason that there isn't any.  SGI on the other
hand uses "long long" as it's 64-bit integral type, because they didn't
want to break old code.

Personally, I greatly prefer the DEC version, with long = 64 bit, but
I realize that it just isn't practical to make this change to old code.

As an ex-ANSI C committee memeber, I'd have to say that the only truly
"pedantic" way to do this is to define a new keyword, say, _longlong,
that's in the namespace reserved for such things.  But I'm not
suggesting this as a better solution than making gcc -pedantic more
tolerant of "long long"...

Jim