Subject: rm
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1994 11:50:32
There has been quite a bit of speculation about how the rm(1) command
should work wrt. trailing slashes.

The proper[1] behavior is spelled out in POSIX.2 --- trailing slashes
should be ignored.  I've known about this defect for some time, but
haven't done anything about it.

POSIX.2 says that rm(1) should remove directories as if the POSIX.1
compliant rmdir(3) function was called.  If the NetBSD filesystem code
was POSIX.1 compliant, we wouldn't need any hacks in rm(1) to deal with
the situation.

I think that fixing the filesystem code to ignore trailing slashes is
perhaps the best way to fix this problem.

	--jtc

1. If proper is defined as being standards compliant.