Subject: Re: snmp
To: David M. Stanhope <dms@celtech.com>
From: Ronald Khoo <ronald@cpm.MY>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1994 09:19:45
In your message dated Oct 25, you write:

> I was wondering wat the current status of 'snmp' for netbsd or  freebsd.
> I know of both the MIT and CMU code but it seems out of date and incomplete.

More appropriately, the mit and cmu code doesn't know how to cope with the
new kernel interfaces (e.g. sysctl() dumping of route tables) -- necessary
because the old kernel routing table stuff doesn't exist anymore.
It's actually quite easy to disable the route and arp table code in the
CMU snmpd so that it actually compiles and runs, but leaves you with a
rather crippled snmp implementation :-)

The problem with snmp is that the agent is one thing, kernel support for
mib variables is another, and getting the two to match so you get the
desired result is a third thing altogether.  Thus, for best results,
snmpd should really be part of the core distribution (;-).

I haven't got time this side of christmas to look much harder at snmp
for netbsd, but that's one of the things I'm interested in.  The last
time I asked on this list if anyone else was interested, I had only
one reply, so I guess that starting a netbsd-snmp list is probably
overkill for now ;-) but I'll be very interested to hear from anyone
else interested in snmp on netbsd.

--
Me: Ronald Khoo  Food: Roti Chanai  Drink: Tea, weak, milky without sugar
In Malaysia: ronald@cpm.my      +60 3  241 5232  Computer Protocol Malaysia