Subject: Re: problems installing
To: Thomas Pusateri <pusateri@cs.duke.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/1994 14:06:18
> Exactly the problem. Thanks a bunch. I disabled the cache and the install
> went fine. Just out of curiosity, why does the cache need to be
> disabled?

Typically, this is a problem with bus-mastering DMA not causing memory
to be invalidated properly.  I.e. it generally boils down to
motherboard bugs and/or misconfigurations.

> Also, you might want to add this to the INSTALL doc.

I believe there's a chunk in there that suggests that if one has
trouble booting, etc., to turn off caches and try again.  It's
never explicitly stated that they might cause problems for other
things, too, but it's sort-of implied (i think).

in any case, it shouldn't be a problem for _too_ many people.

chris