Subject: various questions (performance,bootblocks,libgcc)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@nyx.dcs.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1994 21:52:37
All questions are related to i386 architecture where applicable.

1. Can current bootblocks boot kernel from level 1 ffs ?

   (I'm not going to convert my *extremely* stable FS's while seeing
    fs-related panic reports on mailing lists, I still use 0.9 bootblocks)

2. I noticed that libgcc.a for NetBSD's gcc is much smaller than
   libgcc.a installed by stock gcc-2.6.0. (17KB vs 120KB). Can our
   libgcc.a be used instead of original libgcc.a when linking object files
   generated by gcc-2.6.0 ?

3. I need some hint on how code size/code speed tradeoff influences
   overall system performance in NetBSD. Would it be benefitial
   if I could compile all code 5% smaller than usual and 8% slower
   ( when cpu bound, locked in memory) on machine with 16MB memory
   and 1 swap partition on SCSI disk,running XFree,everything linked dynamic ?
   ( I'm prepared to build entire system)

4. Looking into current kernel sources I found that madvise and mincore
   system calls are still unimplemented. Are there any plans to implement
   them ?

Thanks in advance,
Zdenek Salvet
salvet@nyx.dcs.muni.cz