Subject: Re: partitioning MS-DOS problems -- aargh!
To: Charles M. Hannum <>
From: Ian Fitchet <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1994 21:05:07

>When and where did you get the floppy images?  There was a critical
>if wd.c is prior to version, try a later version.

	He used the boot floppies announced to current-users on Monday
(was it Monday?, anyway the most recent set).  The 0.9 floppies caused
a similar disaster.

	My OS was rebuilt from a SUP of current on Saturday (15th Oct)
and has sys/i386/isa/wd.c version (sys/i386/stand/wd.c
version 1.3)

   labelling disk wd0...overwriting disk with DOS partition label (n):

>	   which if you respond with `y' goes immediately to the mkfs

>	   Now, oddly enough, NetBSD has trashed the partition table,
   fips says (including the Error):

>That's hardly surprising, since you told it to.

 Yes, I know.  My point was the floppy kernel has already done
something to the disk such that this time round it thinks it's about
to overwrite a DOS partition table (it didn't give this message the
first time round).

      Ian Fitchet
  Fujitsu Fulcrum Telecommunications ltd., Fordrough Lane, Birmingham, B9 5FL