Subject: Re: AKCL - unexec problems
To: None <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1994 13:25:34
> I'm having a real problem getting AKCL to work on my system.
> It seems "saved_kcl", which is some unexec-ed image, isn't an
> executable file... the first 0x1000 bytes are null, whereupon it
> resumes a normal header just like raw_kcl.  [...]  Note that I had to
> #define start_of_text &etext and #define start_of_text() ( (char *) 0)

These are probably related.  (I assume the first define should be
end_of_text or something similar.)  The text segment does not normally
start at address 0; this is probably where the 4096 nulls are coming
from - they correspond to the space between 0 and where the text really
begins.

As an immediate measure, you might try defining start_of_text as
((char *)4096); of course that's hardly the correct solution, but if it
gets it running on your box, this is almost certainly the problem.  I
don't know offhand what the correct solution is for NetBSD; you
probably should be using something like N_TXTADDR applied to the a.out
header read from the executable file.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu