Subject: Re: Install; 2 floppy drives
To: None <perry@imsi.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1994 11:14:26
Perry Metzger writes:

> The right thing, I think, would be to take a page from BSDI and from
> SunOS and build an installation file system inside an MFS "partition"
> so that the floppy is no longer needed. I don't think it would be
> excessively hard to do this...

I have thought about this, but the problem to me seems to be, that you
need a root device which is _not_ the floppy drive you want to install
from. You can solve this by copying the original root (floppy) filesystem
on to the harddisk, and then using that to boot, copy the floppies, boot
from floppy again, extract, and boot from HD again.. Not a beauty though.
MFS sounds good, but: how do you tell the kernel that it should switch
its root device to the MFS partition (since that is what it seems to be
coming down to?).

- Frank