Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 1.0-BETA binaries
To: NetBSD-current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hellmuth Michaelis <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/1994 15:44:58
>From the keyboard of Ian Fitchet:

> 	1. how do you configure vnode devices into the kernel?  I
> wanted to create some boot floppies for my colleague but they require
> vnconfig.  The only reference I then found to vnd* was in swap devices
> in two of the sample kernel configs and that vnd has major number 14.
> My symptom is, when vnconfig is invoked it complains that "device not
> configured".  (Even after rebooting on one of those kernels).  MAKEDEV
> produced the devices, but it strikes me as a kernel side problem.
> VNODEPAGER is defined in the kernel.

I reported this long ago to (was it Charles ?), MAKEDEV generates (or better
_generated_ at that time) wrong major device numbers for vnode devices, look
at conf.c for the proper major number, then rerun mknod by hand.

Hellmuth Michaelis    HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH    Hamburg, Europe
 Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined (Murphy)