Subject: Re: port-i386/518: kernel panics on bootup as a result of recent disklabel changes
To: None <andrew@werple.apana.org.au>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/1994 06:36:57
> cgd's recent disklabel modifications have resulted in kernels for my
> i386-arch + scsi machines crashing during ffs_mountroot().  More precisely,
> they die in sdminphys() <- sdstrategy() <- readdisklabel() <-
> sdgetdisklabel() <- sdopen() <- ... <- ffs_mountroot().
>
> >How-To-Repeat:
> Build a kernel for a scsi-based i386 system and boot.
>
> >Fix:
> I "fixed" the problem by reversing out cgd's recent disklabel changes from
> the following files:
>
> 	sys/disklabel.h, scsi/{sd.c,cd.c}, arch/i386/i386/disksubr.c,
> 	arch/i386/include/{disklabel.h,param.h}
>
> Unfortunately I haven't yet had time to sit down and locate the problem in
> the new disklabel code.

Did you do a "make clean", as Charles Hannum suggested to the
current-users and ports-i386 lists some time ago?  My i386/SCSI
machine didn't have any such problems booting off a kernel made from
the 15th October tar_files (although there was a problem with the LKM
for XFree86 3.1, which produced a vm_fault, mainly because I assume it
was built around older kernel sources - anyway, commenting out the
the XFree86 3.1 binaries are pre-lbx ones).

Alistair (who must avoid making comments in parentheses, in future)
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.