Subject: Re: MSDOS FS question [FAQ]
To: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/1994 07:09:19
: I'm getting the ubiquitous "Device not configured" message even though I
: put MSDOS in the fstype field of the disklabel.  What is the Right Thing
: to do?
: A simple line from someone's disktab would probably do.  Thanks.

Did you put:

options         MSDOSFS

in your kernel config file, then:

config MACHINENAME
cd ../compile/MACHINENAME*
make clean  # The make clean is important because 'make depend' won't catch
            # everything since an 'option' is the same as a "#define".
make
install kernel, reboot.

: Finally, one (more) quick question: How do you use /dev/audio?
: sndtool or something?  cat'ing directly doesn't cut it :)

Did you configure your soundblaster in like so:

device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

You'll probably want to do that at the same time that you do the MSDOSFS.

Warning, there's a slight buglet in the bsd_audio driver that I haven't
quite found. You'll notice the bug when after catting a few files to
/dev/audio, one of your 'cat's will click the speaker on, then block,
and you won't be able to kill it. It gets stuck in a tsleep() and just
sits there.

There; I've done my good deed for the day.

hpeyerl@novatel.ca                           |  NovAtel Communications Ltd.
hpeyerl@beer.org                             | <nothing I say matters anyway>
  On your birthday 10/02 322 BC: Aristotle dies of indigestion. [hmm]