Subject: Re: 1.0A Repeated "panic: ffs_alloccg" Any ideas?
To: Mark Delany <markd@bushwire.apana.org.au>
From: bryan collins <bryan@bwyan.anu.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/1994 09:10:17
> > I'll just throw in that I use MH for all my mail handling.  I receive
> > the current-users list, plus send and receive private email on my home
> > machine through a PPP link.  With my setup, I haven't experienced any
> > of these crashes, and sendmail is quite busy here sometimes.  Just
> > another point of data. :-)
>
> I've now switched to elm and the panics have stopped. I think Bryan's
> point is that pine is in the process of sending a mail, having just
> forked sendmail, when he gets his panics.
>
> It's almost certainly not sendmail as my system relays mail for about
> 40 uucp sites as well as acting as a secondary MX for a large
> pub.access site here and it never crashes with that traffic (so long
> as I don't touch pine that is).
>
> If Bryan's panics likewise stop subsequent to disabling pine, I think
> the correlation is starting to look significant.

Well I disabled pine from home last night, got into work today and it was sitting at the
single user prompt with a fsck error (run manually)

I run fsck, reboot, and it panics _again_ just before it starts up some daemons.

Its obviously not pine doing it.

As you can see from accounting, sendmail is the last process again.

accton     S     root     vga        0.05 secs Mon Oct 17 09:02
sendmail   SF    root     __         0.20 secs Mon Oct 17 01:19
sendmail   F     root     __         0.08 secs Mon Oct 17 01:20
sendmail   SF    root     __         0.23 secs Mon Oct 17 01:20
sendmail   F     root     __         0.02 secs Mon Oct 17 01:21

there was an elm process just before that.

bry
---
 Bryan Collins
 Coombs Computing Unit