Subject: AFS for NetBSD-1.0_BETA available to Domestic (US) AFS site contacts
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <jtkohl@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/1994 16:29:53
By the graciousness of the folks at Transarc and the persistence of the
Software acquisition folks at MIT, I'm pleased to announce that my
BETA-TEST port of AFS (client only!) to NetBSD-1.0_BETA is now available
to all domestic (US) site contacts.  You can find the distribution in:

/afs/transarc.com/public/afs-contrib/bin/netbsd.client

If you want to fetch these binaries, your AFS site contact will have to
get them for you--they're in a protected subdirectory.

This kit requires an up-to-date kernel (Sup'ed as of 10/13/94).  Earlier
kernels have a differently-sized "struct mount".  If you get later
kernels, be careful to see that the sorts of structures that filesystems
care about haven't changed.  [I'm out of town for next week, so this
distribution will have to suffice until at least October 24th]

Thanks to Derek Atkins, whose work on Linux AFS inspired me, and to Bill
Sommerfeld, who did early work on the port and left in a good enough
state  for me to proceed.

Enjoy!

==John Kohl
Associate Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board

The /afs/transarc.com/public/afs-contrib/bin/README says:

Some directories at this level are protected so that only certain
groups may access them.  The list below summarizes the restrictions.
Because authentication to our AFS cell is necessary to read these
contributions, they are not accessable through anonymous FTP.

netbsd.client:

   Restricted to the domestic Site Contacts.  The binaries include
   portions of AFS that may not be exported outside the US, so only
   those contacts for sites located in the US will be able to access
   this area.  Remember to authenticate to transarc.com before trying
   to read these files.