Subject: Re: two nfs questions
To: None <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: Jarle Greipsland <jarle@idt.unit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/1994 12:20:08
Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net> writes:
>   Hey folks...I have some strange things happening with nfs that I was
> wondering if anyone could shed a little light on.  This is a long one,
> beware.

>   First, at home. [ ... ]
No idea.

>   The other one is at the office.  There's a NetBSD/sparc 1.0_BETA
> machine there, hairball.  My system, rocinante, is running SunOS4.1.3.

> Oct 14 04:35:34 rocinante vmunix: NFS request from unprivileged port.

I believe the answer to your problem is in the previous line.  SunOS can be
configured to require nfs requests to originate from a priviliged port on
the client machine.  NetBSD doesn't use one by default.  If you try

hairball% mount -o -P rocinante:/usr/local /mnt

it ought to work.  'man mount_nfs' for more info.

						-jarle
----
"-- the only reason i'm reading news right now
 is because i've got a paper that has to be done by tomorrow.  8-)"
				-- Chris G. Demetriou