Subject: two nfs questions
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/1994 04:41:14
  Hey folks...I have some strange things happening with nfs that I was
wondering if anyone could shed a little light on.  This is a long one,
beware.

  First, at home.  I have 2 NetBSD/i386 boxes, spasmodica and boombox,
both running 1.0_BETA.  I'm trying to mount spasmodica:/usr/src on
boombox:/usr/src.  My exports line reads:

/usr/src   -maproot=root boombox.neurotica.com

  I execute this command:

boombox% mount spasmodica:/usr/src /usr/src

  which returns just fine.  However, if I try to do an `ls' of that
directory, my session locks up.  It echoes ^C's but I can't interrupt
the `ls'.  I can establish other sessions just fine.  A `df' does the
same thing; just hangs.

  The other one is at the office.  There's a NetBSD/sparc 1.0_BETA
machine there, hairball.  My system, rocinante, is running SunOS4.1.3.
I have /usr/local exported from rocinante to hairball with root
enabled.  I do:

hairball% mount rocinante:/usr/local /mnt

  which comes back just fine.  rocinante's filesystem doesn't show up
in a `df' display, but it *does* show up properly in a `mount'
display.  If I try an `ls' or anything else to access that directory
on hairball, I get `permission denied' on hairball and this message in
/var/adm/messages on rocinante:

Oct 14 04:35:34 rocinante vmunix: NFS request from unprivileged port.
Oct 14 04:35:34 rocinante vmunix: nfs_server: weak authentication, source IP address=164.109.20.27

  The 164.109.20.27 machine is hairball.  Here's the wierd part:
another machine on the same network, ss1, has filesystems exported to
hairball that I can mount, umount, and *access* all day with no
problem at all.  I've gone over EVERYTHING.  As far as I can tell,
their configurations are identical.  I see what I expect to see in a
`showmount -e rocinante' from hairball, as well.  The same exact thing
happens with a 486 running BSDI.

  It sounds like I'm missing something stupid here.  I'm pretty
comfortable with nfs configuration, having worked with it for years
and all, but this one's got me stumped.  Can anyone offer any
suggestions as to what I might look for in this situation?  It's being
rather frustrating.

                           Thanks,
                            -Dave McGuire
                             Operations