Subject: Re: Swapping
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/1994 16:34:37
[ On Wed, October 12, 1994 at 10:49:58 (-0400), Lennart Augustsson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Swapping
>
> > I think that you are stuck in a terminology problem. As I understand it,
> > most everybody talks about "swapping" (paging out an entire process to
> > the disk, and bring in another full process) when they really mean
> > "paging" (moving one or more pages to or from swap-space).
>
> When I said swapping I meant moving an entire process to disk
> and then bring in another, and not paging.

I've always wondered why some BSD's don't swap.  Having a thrashing
machine crash is a terrible disaster.

My AT&T SysVr3.2 3b2/500, with 4 Mb of RAM, can run emacs-19, pathalias
on the world, news, mail, and uucp, and still grind along and get things
done....  It uses the page 'til I thrash, then swap away, style of VM.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>