Subject: Causes of vm_faults ?
To: None <netbsd-current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1994 14:07:01
What are the likely causes of vm_faults ?

I'm am repeatedly getting vm_faults when I
add users to my /etc/master.passwd with
chpass -m 'complete entry of a user'.
It faults while creating the new master.passwd
databases (/etc/*pwd.db).

If I reboot and login single user and run
pwd_mkdb by hand it works. I can then rerun
my password-adding scripts and it also doesn't
crash. It only seems to crash if it's been working
for some time beforehand.

trace shows me vm_fault,page fault trap code=0, dqget, getquota,
		ufs_quotactl,quotactl,syscall.
My / isn't quota'd and root doesn't have quota-restrictions
anyway.

Is there a variable I should increase to decrease the
chance of this happening ? maxusers is currently set to 24.
Would increasing maxusers have any effect ? What effects
would it have ?

Cheerio
--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"