Subject: Causes of vm_faults ?
To: None <>
From: Andrew Wheadon <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1994 14:07:01
What are the likely causes of vm_faults ?

I'm am repeatedly getting vm_faults when I
add users to my /etc/master.passwd with
chpass -m 'complete entry of a user'.
It faults while creating the new master.passwd
databases (/etc/*pwd.db).

If I reboot and login single user and run
pwd_mkdb by hand it works. I can then rerun
my password-adding scripts and it also doesn't
crash. It only seems to crash if it's been working
for some time beforehand.

trace shows me vm_fault,page fault trap code=0, dqget, getquota,
My / isn't quota'd and root doesn't have quota-restrictions

Is there a variable I should increase to decrease the
chance of this happening ? maxusers is currently set to 24.
Would increasing maxusers have any effect ? What effects
would it have ?

The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc \ "NetBSD-current mirror"
hostbase=/mit/ftp/pub/NetBSD base=/usr prefix=/usr backup delete use-rel-suffix