Subject: bad programming (was: Is there a new tcsh source)
To: None <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Szabolcs Szigeti (PinkPanther) <pink@fsz.bme.hu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1994 16:19:46
> > - People have their own prototypes for system calls or library
> >   variables (one common example of this is sys_errlist[]).  This is
> >   just bad programming; deleting the offending prototypes solves this
> >   problem.

	[ ... ]

> Or does your definition of "bad programming" include declaring things
> myself because I can't find an include file that declares them
> everywhere I need to have the code build?
>
> 					der Mouse
>
> 			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

No. Bad programming means writing things like:

double **sys_errlist;

instead of

#ifndef SUCKER_SYSTEM
#include <errno.h>
#endif

#ifdef SUCKER_SYSTEM
double **sys_errlist;
#endif

And giving the user the choise of adding -DSUCKER_SYSTEM to CFLAGS. Or better
yet, providing an autoconfiguration utility (look at emacs or clisp, wonderful).

szabolcs