Subject: NFS mounting strangeness
To: None <admin@vorpal.com, core@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1994 22:26:16
I have a problem mounting certain directories from a local NFS server.
The server is called darkwatch.vorpal.com, and I get

root@packrat# mount darkwatch:/usr /mnt
root@packrat# umount /mnt
root@packrat# mount darkwatch:/local/home/flipk /mnt
nfs: can't access /local/home/flipk: Permission denied

types of errors.

darkwatch's /etc/exports file contains:

/local/home -alldirs blade.vorpal.com minion.vorpal.com packrat.vorpal.com
/usr -alldirs blade.vorpal.com minion.vorpal.com packrat.vorpal.com

which should be correct.  I tried swapping the order of the entries (/usr
used to be listed first) but still no go.

This has been going on for some time, but this is the first time I've had a
chance to dig into it.

Has anyone else seen this sort of problem?  Since I can mount /usr, it bothers
me that I can't mount /local/home as well.

darkwatch's version:

NetBSD 1.0_BETA (HUB) #0: Fri Sep 23 04:48:05 CDT 1994
    explorer@packrat.vorpal.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/HUB

and packrat's kernel version
NetBSD 1.0_BETA (PACKRAT) #0: Tue Sep 20 20:34:08 CDT 1994
    explorer@packrat.vorpal.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/PACKRAT