Subject: Re: i386: current kernel/quotas?
To: None <briggs@mail.vt.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1994 16:25:22
[ On Sat, October  1, 1994 at 22:13:56 (-0400), Allen 'Time?' Briggs wrote: ]
> Subject: i386: current kernel/quotas?
>
> Since I started using this kernel, the machine will stay up for about
> an hour of some pounding before panicing.  I don't have the panic
> message as the machine's in a closet on campus.  One panic that I did
> glimpse was a basic "page fault in supervisor mode" or something like
> that.  I will try to post a better panic when I'm in front of the
> machine while it faults.  I will also attempt building a kernel with
> DDB.

We've been experiencing the same kinds of problems with kernels built
from the September 21'st sources tagged netbsd-1-0.

We experience both vm_fault panics (in supervisor mode) (type 6?), and
some of those good old "ffs_alloccg: map corrupted" panics too.

The only changes I've made are to turn off doreallocblks, as per some
prior suggestions related to the second type of panic (which hasn't made
a bit of difference so far as I can tell).

We cannot currently build with DDB, as I will not install the new boot
blocks until after I have boot floppies working, and the old boot blocks
will not load a new kernel with the DDB installed.

We've never had a panic while "ordinary" things are running, such as
emacs, vi, make (kernel, full OS, etc), etc., but only when folks are
doing heavy filesystem traversal, or various networking things, such as
lynx, ftp, archie, and so on.

Similarly we have turned on QUOTA, FIFO, and KTRACE.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>