Subject: i386: current kernel/quotas?
To: None <current-users@pain.lcs.mit.edu>
From: Allen 'Time?' Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1994 22:13:56
I updated an 0.9 system to 1.0 using the binary snapshot from Aug 1.
Forgetting about the fsck change that was made a few weeks ago, I
updated the filesystems with, I believe, the fsck that was in the
Aug 1 binaries.
The system seemed to be running fine with that, so I grabbed the latest
1.0 sources and configured a new kernel (config file attached below).
Since I started using this kernel, the machine will stay up for about
an hour of some pounding before panicing.  I don't have the panic
message as the machine's in a closet on campus.  One panic that I did
glimpse was a basic "page fault in supervisor mode" or something like
that.  I will try to post a better panic when I'm in front of the
machine while it faults.  I will also attempt building a kernel with
DDB.
	Anyway, the main differences that I can note between this
kernel and GENERICBT which seemed much more stable:

	* This kernel is built from sources current as of 1 Oct.
	  whereas GENERICBT was the 1 Aug version.
	* This kernel was built with QUOTAs whereas the GENERICBT
	  was not.
	* This kernel was built with the FIFO option whereas the
	  GENERICBT was not.  (It was recommended in ALL ;-)
	* This kernel has more users/ttys than GENERICBT (but no
	  more than 5-6 people have been on since I switched
	  kernels).

	One more data point.  Several times, the crash has occurred
while installing a package or executing an 'rm' command.

	Any ideas?

Thanks in advance if you do.
-allen

config file:
#
# CRAY --  derived from
# GENERICBT -- Generic machine w/bt driver -- distribution floppy
#
#	$Id: GENERICBT,v 1.12.2.3 1994/08/09 22:32:45 mycroft Exp $
#

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
ident		CRAY
timezone	5 dst
maxusers	64
options		SWAPPAGER,VNODEPAGER,DEVPAGER
options		FFS,QUOTA
options		INET,NFSCLIENT
options		MFS
options		"COMPAT_43"
options		"TCP_COMPAT_42"
options		XSERVER,UCONSOLE
options		MSDOSFS
options		KERNFS
options		PROCFS
options		SCSI
options		"COMPAT_NOMID"
options		"COMPAT_09"
options		"MACHINE_NONCONTIG"

#options		"DUMMY_NOPS"
options		FIFO
#options		SYSVMSG
#options		SYSVSEM
#options		SYSVSHM
#options		SHMMAXPGS=1024		# 1024 pages is the default

config		netbsd	root on sd0a swap on sd0b

controller	isa0

device		pc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" irq 1
device		com0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" irq 4

device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" irq 7
device		lpt1	at isa? port "IO_LPT2"

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" irq 6 drq 2
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive ?
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive ?

controller	bt0	at isa? port "IO_BT0" irq ? drq ?
master		scsibus0 at bt0
disk		sd0	at scsibus0 slave ?
disk		sd1	at scsibus0 slave ?
tape		st0	at scsibus0 slave ?
disk		cd0	at scsibus0 slave ?

device ed2 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xcc000

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13

pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	pty	64