Subject: Re: ballpark ratio users:cpu for a [345]86 NetBSD box?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1994 12:17:57
  On September 27, you wrote:
  > Rubbery figures welcome. I guess that a 66Mhz 486 with 32+Mb can handle
  > around 40 interactive and a background load of the same net-users. PCI
  > Pentium should be more like the bigger boxes. Am I pessimistic?

    I'd be shocked and amazed if you got any more than 12-18 people on a
  486/66 with 32+mb.  They just don't have the I/O for it.  As much as I
  love NetBSD/i386 (I have two intel machines that I built especially for the
  purpos of running NetBSD) the PC is simply not a multi-user platform.

Ok. so a pentium with PCI and a 32bit ethercard? 64mb memory? if I have
PCI scsi, and wide ether access, might this be plausible?

Note, the cost in AU dollars now exceeds amazingly discounted suns or
maybe even smaller AXP systems. This depressing is :-(

-George