Subject: Re: ballpark ratio users:cpu for a [345]86 NetBSD box?
To: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1994 22:05:57
On September 27, you wrote:
> Rubbery figures welcome. I guess that a 66Mhz 486 with 32+Mb can handle
> around 40 interactive and a background load of the same net-users. PCI
> Pentium should be more like the bigger boxes. Am I pessimistic?

  I'd be shocked and amazed if you got any more than 12-18 people on a
486/66 with 32+mb.  They just don't have the I/O for it.  As much as I
love NetBSD/i386 (I have two intel machines that I built especially for the
purpos of running NetBSD) the PC is simply not a multi-user platform.

                           Regards,
                            -Dave McGuire
                             Operations
                             Digital Express Group, Incorporated