Subject: Re: Problems with new installation
To: Brian Moore <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/1994 23:57:01
>I just tried to install NetBSD 1.0B from the Sept. 16 installation sets on a
>Dell 486 and almost everything is working great.  As long as I am root
>everything acts like normal, but when I set up a user using vipw, and chpass
>that user doesn't have access to certain parts of the system.

It sounds like you don't have your executables installed setuid root.
How did you do this install??  Did you do it as a user other than
root?  I don't think your permissions got installed correctly.

   Michael L. VanLoon
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m