Subject: Re: Politically Correct way of doing password authentication?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1994 20:31:47
In Message <199409191513.LAA29389@epiwrl.entropic.com> ,
   Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com> wrote:

=>>>                   I also made pppd open the device in O_NDELAY mode--I
=>>> don't know why it was commented out, but modems react much better if you
=>>> open them this way.
=>>
=>>My guess would be (not saying your fix is incorrect) that in most cases
=>>the "chat" program would be used to open the port and dial. Just a thought.
=>
=>As far as I can tell, it only makes sense to have pppd open the device and
=>then call chat; that's how I use it, and I can't see any other way to do it
=>that makes sense.
=>
=>FWIW, I made the very same O_NDELAY hack to pppd a while back so it would work
=>on the home machine, so of course I think it's a good idea :-)

   FYI, I tried removing the comments around O_NDELAY and my ppp login
script, included below, no longer works. This message is logged:

Sep 19 19:58:10 wheel pppd[99]: could not set up connection

And here is the script:

#!/bin/sh

exec pppd defaultroute connect 'chat -f /etc/ppp/totiac' lock passive noipdefault mru 296 mtu 296 tty02 19200 > /dev/null 2>&1

   Removing O_NDELAY got rid of the problem. Perhaps a change to chat would
be required?

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts