Subject: Re: A Pathological Question
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: T. William Wells <bill@twwells.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/1994 02:14:04
In article <35almo$460@epicycle.lm.com>, Peter Berger  <peterb@lm.net> wrote:
: Newsgroups: mail.netbsd-current-users
: Apparently-To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG
:
: [Here's hoping my mailing list to newsgroup gateway worked.  Replies are
: appreciated just to let me know that it's functioning...]

Not quite.....

: HOWEVER, now that I've got my box partitioned correctly and on the 'net, is
: it at all feasible to install NetBSD current (the 4.4 lite Beta) "on top
: of" FreeBSD; ie, can I just replace my /sys directory with a NetBSD sys,
: config it, make it, and expect it to work?

(I recently switched from the latest FreeBSD to NetBSD, without doing a full
install.)

The object formats aren't compatible. You can use the same filesystems, but
you have to bring everything over, starting with binaries. And don't forget
to install a new set of boot blocks; the FreeBSD boot blocks won't boot a
NetBSD kernel.  Other than that, there's no magic to switching over, just a
lot of sweat, since *everything* will have to be recompiled and reconfigured.