Subject: Re: segmentation fault on fclose?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/1994 07:56:16
> ANSI does not require such a special case, and I really
> don't like the idea of masking bugs in applications by kluging up the
> C library.

In my experience, an implementation that masks or otherwise makes it
difficult to detect errors is not a useful "reference platform" for
writing portable software.  You'll never know you have a problem until
you are sent to a vendor's porting center half-way across the country.
And you'll be forced to track it down and fix it with the primitive tools
that are common on pre-release hardware. :-).

One of the most notable examples of this is AT&T's documenters workbench
(troff, etc.).  It was developed on machines that did not trap null
references.  So, it didn't work at all when it was sold (for lots of
$$$'s) to vendors whos machines did trap null references.

	--jtc