Subject: debugging kernel core dumps ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1994 02:57:13
Having compile a NetBD-current/sparc kernel with the DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC
options in, how do I then debug the core dumps ?

gdb won't recognise vmcore, the FAQ (3.2.4) mentions "device-pseudo ddb"
(adding this just makes config.new barf) and CTL-ALT-ESC does nothing.

The man page for ddb(4) says nothing useful...I'm lost, where should I be
looking ?

If I add "options KGDB", I presume I need to add the next line defining
KGDBDEV and KGDBRATE, correct ?  If so, does this limit debugging to using
an active kernel and being at the console ? (yuck!)

Also, who is currently working on the union file system ?  I'm after a way
to debug these:
Sep  4 08:47:25 netbsd /netbsd: ufs_unlock: unlocked inode: type VDIR, usecoun
t 2, writecount 0, refcount 0,
Sep  4 08:47:26 netbsd /netbsd:       tag VT_UFS, ino 63232, on dev 7, 6
Sep  4 08:47:26 netbsd /netbsd: panic: ufs_unlock NOT LOCKED

Also, can anyone tell me what this means ?

Sep  4 06:43:54 netbsd /netbsd: note: lost 32 pages in translation

Thanks,
Darren