Subject: Re: VI in dumb mode?
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.oz.au>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1994 05:36:26
> I've noticed that the new VI(1) (to 0.9) no longer works in dumb mode.
> i.e.:
>
> 	$ touch test
> 	$ TERM=unknown vi test
> 	test: new file: line 1
> 	Error: Initscr failed: No such file or directory
> 	No TERM environment variable set, or TERM set to "unknown"

The "vi" in 0.9 was elvis.  Since about February/March, the -current
vi has been nvi, from Berkeley.  Over the last week, the version of
nvi has just been updated from 1.11 to 1.34, and that version includes
many bug fixes.  The 1.34 sources I grabbed compiled out of the box on
NetBSD 1.0_BETA from 21st August.

The problem above is that you should be invoking vi by using the name
"ex" - and you can edit using ex-mode commands (all the ':' ones you
use in vi).

$ TERM=unknown vi crap
crap: unmodified: line 1
Error: Initscr failed: No such file or directory
No TERM environment variable set, or TERM set to "unknown"
$ TERM=unknown ex crap
crap: unmodified: line 32
: version
Version 1.11, Thu Mar 24 21:07:47 1994
The CSRG, University of California, Berkeley.
: q
$

Cheers,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			     +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.