Subject: Self contained, dynamically linked binaries?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1994 11:47:33
Hello,

(For want of a better title)

I'm interested in a bit of the story behind NetBSD's implementation of
dynamically linked binaries.  I understand that it was based (loosly?)
on SunOS-4's implementation.

The current implementation, dynamic binaries do not include a default
LD_LIBRARY_PATH value.  I'm interested in learning why this is the case
and if there is any plan to integrate this feature(?) in a future
version of the dynamic library code.

Off hand, possible reasons for leaving it out would include security,
simplicity or even `things-to-do-one-day' :-)

I'm asking as I'd like a method of building packages that, when
installed, do not require the configuration of either LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
ldconfig. (Specifying the full path to each library, when linking, sort
of acheives this, but takes away some of the flexability).

			any history welcome,

				regards Andrew