Subject: Re: mpeg_play
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <Jan-Hinrich.Fessel@quantum.de>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/25/1994 01:40:07
> In message <m0qdKea-00004QC@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>you write:
> ->5.  I modified the Berkeley mpeg_play stuff to work on the NeXT
> ->(16-bit colour), and on the 4-bit XFree86 VGA server (XF86_VGA16).
> ->Not exactly quick, but it works.  Anyone wanting a copy, drop me a
> ->line.
>
> What did it need, aside from the obvious "conflicting type"
> thingies?  I just pulled over mpeg_play 2.0.1 and all I nneded was to
> recompile the Motif-1.1.3 shared lib which I haven't been using
> quite a long time (but after the off_t).

Well, obviously I'm talking about different sources to you, (mine are
from s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:pub/multimedia/mpeg, and the VERSION file
says VERSION 2.0, and the README says (Version 2.0; Jan 27 1993))
because there were no conflicting-type thingies, no calls to Motif,
and, most specifically, no support for any displays other than 24-bit
(TrueColor) or 8-bit (like Suns etc). [There's also monochrome support,
but monochrome mpegs are a bit ...uhhm... minimalist for me]

The MouseX (Hi!) server which I use on the NeXT has 16-bit colour, and
the LCD display on pumpy can only do 4-bit colour, and so I added
support for them.

Tschuess,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			     +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.