Subject: problem with the joe editor (Solved)
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/1994 22:56:45
 A couple of days ago I complained on the current-users list about the fact
that I couldn't get the editor joe (ftp.std.com:src/editors/joe*) to
behave properly with NetBSD 1.0B. After a little digging I found out that
the problem is caused by the definition of the termcap entry cb.

According to the readme that comes with joe 1.0.11:

>	JOE supports the GNU extensions to the termcap language and also
>understands several new capabilities:
[ Stuff deleted for brevity]
>		cb
>
>			Like the 'cv' capability, but the cursor goes to the
>			beginning of the specified line.  Like 'ESC [ n H' in
>			ansi/vt100.

According to man 5 termcap from NetBSD 1.0B:

     cv        str       (NP)      Set cursor row (vertical position).

According to /usr/src/share/termcap/termcap.src (vt100 and pc3 entry):
cb=\E[1K
which is a selective erase in line.

One way to get joe working is to have no cb entry in the termcap you use.

Onno van der Linden     c/o     vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl (Frank van der Linden)