Subject: Re: (1) getty/login
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1994 12:39:49
In message <199408162055.QAA10938@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>, der Mouse wrote

>As people who recognize my From:-line will know, I'm running
>NetBSD/sparc on a SPARC IPC.  And I've got a couple of questions.

>(1) I have been unable to get logins working on /dev/ttya.  I turn it
>    on in /etc/ttys, HUP init, and the login prompt shows up fine.
>    Then I type a username and RETURN (which echo correctly), and it
>    says, instead of the Password: prompt I would expect, @8@@@@9w
>    (with no newline after it).  Nothing I type at this point has any
>    effect I can discern, until some timeout expires, at which point it
>    utters the cryptic string @@@@@@]@@PW@P8@@@(@@@@9\@@^@~ and prints
>    another prompt from getty.  I would assume this is a baud-rate
>    problem, except that stty insists that the baud rate is the same
>    both when getty is reading a username and when login is reading a
>    password.  When getty is in control:
>
>speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
>lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
>	-echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
>	-nokerninfo -extproc
>iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel -ignbrk
>	-brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
>oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
>cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd -hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
>discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill    lnext
>^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U      ^V
>min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time    werase
>1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      <undef> ^S      ^Z      0       ^W
>
>    and when login is in control, presumably trying to read a password:
>
>speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
>lflags: icanon isig iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl echoctl
>	-echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
>	-extproc
>iflags: istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
>	brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
>oflags: opost onlcr oxtabs
>cflags: cread cs7 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
>discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill    lnext
>^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U      ^V
>min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time    werase
>1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      <undef> ^S      ^Z      0       ^W
>
>    Some differences are obvious...but nothing that explains the weird
>    gibberish I'm seeing.  Are serial line logins just not working yet
>    on the SPARC, or what?  I haven't seen anything else misbehave when
>   talking to that serial line.
>
>    /dev/ttyb behaves the same, at least up to the @8@@@@9w point; I
>    didn't feel like waiting for the timeout to see if the other string
>    was the same.

	For over a year I've been using a Mac IIcx running Mac240 as
	console for my Sun IPC. I've been running 8-bit noparity ignore
	eight bit on both SunOS and NetBSD/Sparc until a month or so ago.
	Then I had to switch to 7-bit noparity after login on NetBSD/Sparc
	to be able to use the console.

	I didn't report it because I didn't have time to investigate it
	further. But it seems to be the same problem  you've got.

>					der Mouse
>
>			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

-moj

Mats O Jansson, CelsiusTech Systems, Jaerfaella, Sweden
email: maja@celsiustech.se (or moj@stacken.kth.se)