Subject: Re: (1) getty/login, (2) NFS options
To: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/16/1994 20:37:45

> As people who recognize my From:-line will know, I'm running
> NetBSD/sparc on a SPARC IPC.  And I've got a couple of questions.
>
> (1) I have been unable to get logins working on /dev/ttya.  I turn it
>     on in /etc/ttys, HUP init, and the login prompt shows up fine.
>     Then I type a username and RETURN (which echo correctly), and it
>     says, instead of the Password: prompt I would expect, @8@@@@9w
>     (with no newline after it).  Nothing I type at this point has any
>     effect I can discern, until some timeout expires, at which point it
>     utters the cryptic string @@@@@@]@@PW@P8@@@(@@@@9\@@^@~ and prints
>     another prompt from getty.  I would assume this is a baud-rate
>     problem, except that stty insists that the baud rate is the same
>     both when getty is reading a username and when login is reading a
>     password.  When getty is in control:

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe you need the 'np' setting
in your gettytab.  (no parity)  The 'ap' that's in the default
just didn't cut it on my terminal (a zenith z-49)  I imagine
I f**ked something up, but using 'np' made it work..
Now I need to figure out how to turn off the XON/XOFF for my
terminal..

-Andrew