Subject: POSIX signal macros broken/shakey on 1.0 beta
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1994 16:37:13
> [ sigset manipulation macro problems ]
>
> > 	Other OS's appear to implement these as actual functions rather than
> > 	macros, maybe NetBSD should too?
>
> Probably yes.  These are generally not in any critical path.

The sigsetops are already implemented as functions.  POSIX.1 and ANSI
C allow almost every function to have a macro implementation in
addition to a function implementation.

In fact, the function implementations _do_ detect the invalid signal
error.  At one time we had the sigsetops macros commented out of
<signal.h>, but that was lost when <signal.h> was imported from
4.4lite.

At one time I thought that invalid signal errors should always be
detected, since it is easy to do and not _too_ expensive.  I no longer
think so, because as an application programmer, I can't write code
that relys on the fact that errors will be detected.

	--jtc