Subject: POSIX signal macros broken/shakey on 1.0 beta
To: None <>
From: J.T. Conklin <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1994 15:57:00
	   Specifically, it depends on sigismember to return a 0 when
	   the signal number goes over the number of bits in the
	   datatype of set. i.e. 32 bits in our case. The CVS code was
	   using a loop with sigismember that went from 1 to whenever
	   sigismember returned 0. sigismember never returned 0 on x86
	   1.0 beta and kept going and going like the Energizer

Although there is an open PR for this issue, It's actually a bug in
CVS -- POSIX.1 gives the implementor the option of not "detecting" the
error of an invalid or unsupported signals.  We choose not to.

Send mail with subject "--full 279"
for details.

In the words of the rationale: " not necessary to require
implementations of these functions to determine wheter an optional
signal is actually supported, as that could have a significant
performance impact for very little value."

Fortunately the CVS 1.3.91 snapshot I've been working with works out
of the box on NetBSD.