Subject: Re: 2 simple questions followup...
To: None <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.blrc.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/1994 21:07:01
>>>>> "Michael" == Michael L VanLoon <-- Iowa State University" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>> writes:

Michael> life significantly easier for people who'd like to have incoming and
Michael> outgoing things happening on their ports, without having to go through
Michael> the /etc/ttys / kill -HUP 1 contortions currently required (not to
Michael> mention the sleep < /dev/ttyxx stuff.

??? I don't require any of that stuff.  I guess the stick in the mud
must be getty.  I use FlexFAX to answer the phone for FAX or to exec a
getty.  It sits on the line just fine, passively, and yields whenever I
crank up UUCP or PPP or Kermit, all of which just create a lock file in
the appropriate place.

Seems like a getty which camps out waiting for input, and then takes the
lock before reading input (waiting and resetting if the lock is held),
would do the trick.  No need for kernel hackery at all!

==John