Subject: Re: 2 simple questions followup...
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@wrl.epi.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/1994 19:09:34

Ken Hornstein <kenh@wrl.EPI.COM> writes:
>I think the current version of com.c works pretty well; if it had call-out
>devices, that would excellent, but it hasn't proved to be a major stumbling
>block yet.
>
>--Ken

I would agree -- the current com ports seem to work just fine.  I
would seriously like calling units added, though.  This would make
life significantly easier for people who'd like to have incoming and
outgoing things happening on their ports, without having to go through
the /etc/ttys / kill -HUP 1 contortions currently required (not to
mention the sleep < /dev/ttyxx stuff.

In general, however, I have no complaints with the performance and
reliability of the com.c drivers.

On another note, I'm contemplating writing, or helping someone else
write, a driver for the Hayes ESP cards using the full enhanced DMA
mode.  If anyone knows what they're doing WRT unix device drivers and
kernel-mode code and would like to help, feel free to drop me a line.
As I'm somewhat of a novice at this, please don't volunteer unless you
know more than me... ;-)

				--Michael

      Michael L. VanLoon                         michaelv@HeadCandy.com
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m