Subject: Re: 2 simple questions...
To: None <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/1994 16:48:19
>Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 02:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Mark Steven de Sagun-Tamola <buckwild@u.washington.edu>

>Aug 10 02:06:24 melissa init: kernel security level changed from 0 to 1
>
>How do I stop this message from reappearing all the time every time I
>reboot??  I suspect it has something to do with the way I extracted the
>binary shots, as I recall some error rolling by as it extracted init.
>Anyway, is there a way to fix it?

It's an informational message from /sbin/init.  AFAIK, you can't get
rid of it unless you want to hack it out of the source.

BTW, The usual way I deal with binary snapshots is to unpack them
somewhere else in my tree (e.g. /usr/new), shutdown to single-user
mode, and then update /bin and /sbin with:

mv /bin/mv /bin/sh /sbin/init /tmp
/tmp/mv /usr/new/bin/* /bin
/tmp/mv /usr/new/sbin/* /sbin
reboot

>2.  Every time I try to type in commands to my modem, using "cu", I get
>the error:
>
>cu: write: Input/output error

I recall reading something to the effect that you could fix this by
creating an /etc/uucp/ports file (see Taylor UUCP docs).

>....  However, the somewone ported this downloading
>program for Linux, and I thought all was saved as Mike Long had hacked a
>port that should have worked for NetBSD, yet it did not work since at
>that time there was no working /dev/io for NetBSD.  Does it work now??

I don't know, the code I ported is still lingering somewhere on my
machine at home.  I'll check it out.

Kermit, BTW, works fine for me.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                    (PGP 2.6 public key available)