Subject: Re: 2 simple questions...
To: None <>
From: Mike Long <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/1994 16:48:19
>Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 02:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Mark Steven de Sagun-Tamola <>

>Aug 10 02:06:24 melissa init: kernel security level changed from 0 to 1
>How do I stop this message from reappearing all the time every time I
>reboot??  I suspect it has something to do with the way I extracted the
>binary shots, as I recall some error rolling by as it extracted init.
>Anyway, is there a way to fix it?

It's an informational message from /sbin/init.  AFAIK, you can't get
rid of it unless you want to hack it out of the source.

BTW, The usual way I deal with binary snapshots is to unpack them
somewhere else in my tree (e.g. /usr/new), shutdown to single-user
mode, and then update /bin and /sbin with:

mv /bin/mv /bin/sh /sbin/init /tmp
/tmp/mv /usr/new/bin/* /bin
/tmp/mv /usr/new/sbin/* /sbin

>2.  Every time I try to type in commands to my modem, using "cu", I get
>the error:
>cu: write: Input/output error

I recall reading something to the effect that you could fix this by
creating an /etc/uucp/ports file (see Taylor UUCP docs).

>....  However, the somewone ported this downloading
>program for Linux, and I thought all was saved as Mike Long had hacked a
>port that should have worked for NetBSD, yet it did not work since at
>that time there was no working /dev/io for NetBSD.  Does it work now??

I don't know, the code I ported is still lingering somewhere on my
machine at home.  I'll check it out.

Kermit, BTW, works fine for me.
Mike Long
VLSI Design Engineer                    (PGP 2.6 public key available)
Analog Devices, CPD Division
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));