Subject: Re: Ethernet Options (was: INTEL ETHERNET COMPATIBILITY QUESTION?)
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/1994 15:25:00
Randy Terbush writes:
>You might also want to consider the TNIC-1500 that is available through
>South Coast Computing. (I don't have contact information on this machine)
>This is an ISA solution that is a Lance based card that uses DMA (if I
>remember the specifics correctly). It has been benchmarked slightly faster
>on reads than the 3c509, on BSDI. There are drivers available from the
>supplier last I heard. It may also work with our new Lance drivers?

The TNIC-1500 is based on an enhanced version of the Lance chip.  The
enhancement is that the card does _busmaster_ DMA.  Apparently the
card works well with a 1542 busmaster but doesn't work equally well
with a second TNIC as busmaster--there's some performance loss.

I don't expect it to work with a normal Lance driver as the card as no
local RAM to buffer packets.

Steve Nuchia <steve@nuchat.sccsi.com> has been very helpfull in
answering questions.  I believe he also mentioned NetBSD drivers a
year ago or so.
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org          Home +49 721 606137
						        Work +49 228 97024-45