Subject: yp under NetBSD 1_0B. & Mysterious disk activiy.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <bachesta@angst.tera.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1994 07:23:09
I'm running the binary snapshot from July 31, 1994 and I'm trying
to get yp to work properly. I'm running my NetBSD machine on our
local net. In the past I was able to get yp up and running by
copying the /var/yp/binding file from my local sun and rebooting.

  bachesta:361> ls -l /var/yp/binding/
  total 2
  -rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel  14 Jul 29 06:28 tera.com

My "domainname is "tera.com"

  bachesta:362> domainname
  tera.com

I checked for ypbind and it _is_ running:

  bachesta:360> ps -auxww | grep yp
  root        49  0.0  0.0    76  248 ??  Ss    7:32AM    2:36.67 ypbind

When I do a ypcat hosts I get the following message:

  No such map hosts.byaddr. Reason: Can't bind to server which \
  serves this domain

Doing a ypwhich gives me this:

  can't clnt_call: Can't communicate with ypbind

Has anyone else been succesful in getting yp up and running? Am I doing
a "bonehead" maneuver?

Also on a _possibly_ unrelated topic I have noticed that since
NetBSD 1.0A my machine will access the disk every 2-5 seconds when
the machine is idle. It's kind of irritating to hear it. I never
noticed this before. I'm curious if anyone else has observed this.
My machine is an _old_ 20 Mhz 386 with 14 Megs of Ram and two ESDI
drives on a Western Digital Controller. Does anyone know whats accessing
the disk. How can I find out?

Thanks,

Jim Bachesta

Tera Computer Company