Subject: Re: What is best, PPP or Slip?
To: Danny Lepage <poutine@M3iSystems.QC.CA>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1994 14:06:29
On Thu, 4 Aug 1994, Danny Lepage wrote:

> I'm currently using slip (14400 bps), and I'm looking to improved
> transfer performance. So, what is best, PPP or Slip ?

My personal opinion is that PPP with VJ header compression is superior to
CSLIP; either one is significantly better than SLIP.

> Also, is it possible to set MTU with slip ? If so, how ?

No; that's hard coded into the kernel.  [/sys/net/if_sl.c]

> (If I remember right, MTU seems to be set ~256, but my provider
> suggest a MTU setting of 1500. If I managed to set it to 1500, will
> I have better networking performance ?)

If the line is "clean", I would expect there to be no significant
advantage in using a smaller MTU.  However, it doesn't really impact the
efficiency of the connection all that much with header compression
enabled, so it's not a significant disadvantage, either.

As to turning on compression in the NetBSD SLIP code, I won't even guess,
since I've never used it.