Subject: Re: GENERICBT won't boot on my system
To: None <>
From: Bill Squier <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1994 11:01:25
In message <199408030928.FAA00307@localhost>, writes:
>I bet it has something to do with my ATI GUP, which has ports all over
>the place.  I remember someone a while back complaining about com3
>being put in the kernel, because it prevented it from booting.  That's
>because the com3 addresses conflict with the GUP.

The GUP uses 0x2e0 - 0x2ef.  com3 plops somewhere in the middle there.
It also doesn't prevent you from booting up, just blanks the screen
:-)  Just about any further activity on com3 will wake it up.  (for
example, having a /dev/tty03 entry in /etc/ttys and executing
ttyflags, or even sometimes just echoing or cat'ing random things to
it, in case you ever get bitten by it)