Subject: Re: how to concatenate disks
To: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1994 16:31:28
On Wed, 3 Aug 1994 15:32:39 -0400
 der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> wrote:

 > Preferably, but I'd take a doc file over nothing.

I just wrote a man page and shipped it off to Charles...

 > However, I'm curious.  What's machine-dependent about this sort of disk
 > trickery?  More specifically, why is the ccd stuff everyone is talking
 > about in the hp300 port, rather than over in some machine-independent
 > part of the kernel?  I can't see anything conceptually difficult about
 > a disk driver that just parcels out I/O requests to other drivers (set
 > via ioctls, perhaps), and while it may not be easy, I don't see any
 > reason why a machine-specific version of it would be any easier.  (I
 > tried to do something very similar once under pre-Reno 4.3, and never
 > got it to work reliably.)

Well, the ccd stuff is actually in a machine independant portion of the
kernel tree, however, it relies *heavily* on config understanding
pseudo-devices with components.  I'm currently working on ccd for the
i386...Should have it done tonight...at which time I will send the
necessary patches to the 'keeper of the tree'.

From what I can gather from conversation and code, config.new does not
grok pseudo-devices with components, so...

Later...

Jason R. Thorpe                thorpej@cs.orst.edu                   754-1554
OSU CS Support                    CSWest Room 12                     737-5567
                           CSOS NetBSD/Symmetry Project