Subject: Snapshot Report - July 31st tar_files
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1994 05:55:19
Snapshot report.
================

Me: agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)

Source: tar_files, 31st July 1994, from sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu

Base version of NetBSD: 0.9.

Upgrade from previous -current: yes, 23rd July sources from
ftp.iastate.edu

Machine specifics: 386DX/40+387, 16MB RAM, 1542CF, 540 MB SCSI (Quantum), VGA

Other software: Matthieu Herrb's XFree86 2.1.1, built July 21 1994.

Tar files integrity: good.

Additional things to do during upgrade: None

Any warnings during compilation: None

Any problems during make: None

Observations: None

Changes from previous snapshot report:
(This is taken from the CHANGES file on sun-lamp - last update on 27 July 94)

        add kerberos5 (k5login.c) authentication for login. (brezak)
        build mount_nfs with kerberos iff kerberos environment. (brezak)
        build sys/lib/libsa with the rest of the kernel/sa libs. (brezak)
        add conditional kerberosIV and kerberos5 support to passwd. (brezak)

Also the following have been announced:
	[i386] boot block fixed to run on 386s (mycroft)
	[i386] disklabel no longer munges device number (mycroft)
	[i386] autoconf detects SCSI card IRQ/DRQ for aha/ahb/bt/uha (mycroft)

Notes:

1. OK, thanks for all the updates. Latest i386-SCSI controller list:

aha1542b isa                 aha1542.c       mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu
aha1542c/cf isa              aha1542.c       hpeyerl@novatel.ca
aha1742 eisa                 aha1742.c       cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu
aha1742 eisa                 aha1742.c       mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu
aic6360 isa                  aic6360.c       mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu
bt445   vlb                  bt742a.c        dhess@cs.stanford.edu
bt542   isa                  aha1542.c       tim@introl.introl.com
bt545   isa                  aha1542.c       tim@introl.introl.com
bt742   eisa                 bt742a.c        deraadt@fsa.ca
bt747   eisa 		     bt742a.c        michaelv@iastate.edu
ultra34f vlb		     ultra14f.c	     jkreska@hpmail2.fwrdc.rtsg.mot.com
ultra14f isa                 ultra14f.c      mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu

[Michael VanLoon tells me that all the BusTek cards should work with
bt742a.c - and a cursory glance through the code seems to back this up
- can someone confirm this for me, please?]

[The AIC-6360 includes Soundblaster Pro 16 SCSI-2, Zeos motherboard
SCSI controllers and others.  This should include the AIC-6260 and
thus the 1510/1520/1522 boards but currently doesn't]

[The Adaptec 2xxx is not supported, and may not be in future due to
Adaptec's refusal to release "proprietary information" about the board.]

General reasoning is that Adaptec support isn't good for non-DOS
problems, and re the 2742 issue.  The Ultrastore has jumpers for
everything, which can be a pain, and I'm not even sure they're in
business any more.  The Bustek boards have had favourable reports.
Please note that I'm just condensing other people's opinions here, all
you lawyers out there.

2.  Likewise, the i386 Ethernet controller list. (Thanks to tdr for the
update - any mistakes are mine).

3c501                   isa     if_el                     (kimmel@cs.umass.edu)
3c503 (and probably 3C507, but I can't actually test it)  (mycroft)
3c509  			isa	if_ep   bnc/aui/utp.      (tdr)
3c579			eisa	if_ep		 	  (tdr)
WD 8390-based cards 	isa	if_ed			  (mycroft)
SMC 8390-based cards 	isa	if_ed			  (mycroft)
NE1000, NE2000    	isa	if_ed			  (mycroft)
NE2100/BICC Isolan/DEPCA isa	if_le			  (mycroft)
AT&T StarLAN (82586-based cards)			  (mycroft)

If anyone has any more to add to this list, please contact me.

3. This week's compilation of everything was peachy again. Absolutely no
problems. Remember to change those (i386) config files so that autoconf
can probe for the SCSI board, rather than giving the specific IRQ/DRQ
numbers. Nice - worked fine for my 1542.

4. There seem to be some msdosfs funnies still.

5. As no-one from any non-i386 groups got in contact, I'll assume that
they can put up with tales of woe about i386 motherboards and hardware.
Either that or superior smirks whenever someone mentions IRQs.

6.  I noticed that the usr.sbin Makefile has catman commented out, wth
the comment "not yet done", although it builds and seems to run fine
on i386.

7. I got xcdplayer almost running - anyone else interested in this baby?

8. As 1.0 seems to be frozen (except for bug-fixes), can I suggest some
things for 1.1?

a) we should practice what we preach and remove all occurrences of gets()
in the sources. I got the following list from /usr/src

usr.sbin/named/tools/nstest/nstest.c
usr.sbin/diskpart/diskpart.c
games/mille/varpush.c
games/backgammon/common_source/backgammon.c
gnu/usr.bin/gdb/readline/history.c
gnu/usr.bin/gdb/readline/tilde.c
gnu/usr.bin/gdb/gdb/regex.c
gnu/usr.bin/gas/config/tc-m68k.c
gnu/usr.bin/gas/config/tc-vax.c
gnu/usr.bin/gas/hash.c
gnu/usr.bin/tar/getdate.y
gnu/usr.bin/rcs/lib/rcsrev.c
gnu/lib/libg++/libg++/regex.cc
share/lkm/syscall/test/testsyscall.c
share/lkm/misc/test/testmisc.c
usr.bin/tn3270/ctlr/api.c

(There were also some occurrences in the various kernel boot files,
and libsa, but I'm not sure that's the libc gets(3), and if you have
access to the console at boot time, then do you really want to check
for overrun in the input, and jumping to dubious routines on the stack
e.g.  what stack?)

I've done the diskpart.c ones, and will continue file by file unless
I'm told that what I'm doing is worthless.

b) has any thought been put into moving towards full ANSI C?

9.  My thoughts go to my Amdahl colleagues who have gone on vacation
and on training courses, leaving me to look after all problems
worldwide between the hours of 08:00 and 16:00 BST, plus my own job,
plus my manager's job.  I thank you all from the heart of my bottom.

10. The future (by a core-team member)

> My guess on when 1.0 will ship is "just before 8/3, or just after 8/9."

with support for the following architectures:
        amiga
        hp300
        i386
        pc532
        sparc

> I actually hope that the next release (1.1) will happen sooner
> than six months from now.  Some of the goals for it include
> complete 4.4-Lite integration, more device support (for all
> architectures), more stability, more uniformity across the
> architectures, and better install tools.  There are obviously
> more things that are on the todo list than that, but those
> are what pop into my mind immediately.

Roll on August 9th

Cheers,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                      +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.