Subject: Re: "GenuineIntel" spacing ???
To: Brian D. Carlstrom <>
From: Martin Husemann <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1994 09:38:42
> from what i hear from mycroft, the cpu returns a 12 byte identification
> (manuafacturer) string. intels return (coverted to ascii):
> 		GenuineIntel
> 		000000000111
> 		123456789012
> which is the 12 bytes exactly

I saw this on one of the computers in the office when I tested my last
installation disks - but my own computer says "i486-Class CPU". Is this
a save way to detect non-Intel CPU's? I should call my dealer at once...

UNIX - An operating system similar to OS-9, but with less functionality
and special features designed to soak up excess memory, disk space and
CPU time on large, expensive computers.
                                            -- OS-9 Glossary